Snort mailing list archives

Re: Snort Kernel Module

From: Jason Haar <Jason.Haar () trimble co nz>
Date: Tue, 7 Oct 2003 13:05:41 +1300

On Mon, Oct 06, 2003 at 03:15:58PM -0500, Josh Berry wrote:
Mostly I need the performance improvements this would add.  Where I work
we have some developers, so the cost wouldn't be an issue.  We would like
to run a linux Intrusion Prevention System with
Bridge/Netfilter/Snort-Inline, however, for where we would like to use it,
we are worried that the system would not be able to handle the traffic.  I

I think you have to define your problem better then...

Is the perf issues with:

1: packet capture
2: processing, or
3: logging?

Having a kernel module to do packet capture better than pcap does could fix
"1" - but I think most of what pcap relies on comes out of the kernel
already - so there isn't that much to gain... "2" or "3" hit security and
standard systems issues pretty quickly (I mean, how would a kernel module
re-read the config file? HUP ain't gonna work).

Typically perf problems with snort are with "3" - logging. Are you
exclusively using barnyard, or are you calling syslog/SQL directly from
Snort. If so, stop doing that :-) What about I/O and interupt issues? Is
your logging going to a different box, or is it on the same box as the IDS.
At the top end that makes a difference in performance...

As far as "2" goes, what about a faster CPU and more RAM? If you could write
a kernel module to do "2", you'd probably find that time could have just as
well be spent on improving the code in standard snort instead (no insult
intended! Just guessing!!! :-)...

No matter what, if you want to do bridging, filtering and snort-inline on
the same box, then that box is going to have to be pretty grunty, and the
HARDWARE you choose will have to be pretty-well hand-picked for the task...
e.g choice of Ethernet cards makes a big difference...

--
Cheers

Jason Haar
Phone: +64 3 9635 377 Fax: +64 3 9635 417