Snort mailing list archives

Re: Snort Machines

From: Duke Ionescu <duke () mastre com>
Date: Fri, 14 Nov 2003 16:12:32 -0500

Friesz, Ross said the following on 11/14/2003 2:50 PM:
I plan on purchasing a new machine to run snort. Currently I have a P3 500 with 512 MB RAM and an 18 Gig drive. What I would like to know is what others are using.

Without knowing what network you'll be analyzing (i.e. is it 10 machines on 10Mbps Ethernet or 1000 machines on Gigabit?) it's impossible to give you a recommendation that's based on anything.

At home I'm using a Celeron 400 with 384 RAM that also has many other duties (including the relaying of this message). On a production network I use a 2.4GHz P4 that also has other duties (although all are administrative); and it sniffs on a Gigabit interface the traffic of about 6 servers. I could probably put the Celeron in it's place and it wouldn't miss a beat.