Snort mailing list archives

Re: Snort 2.0.4 CPU Utilization\Optimization

From: Edin Dizdarevic <edin.dizdarevic () interActive-Systems de>
Date: Fri, 21 Nov 2003 17:50:48 +0100

Right, that was a bad example :)

It took me an hour to wake up. I shoul drink coffee with guarana in the
morning from now on... ;)

Regards,
Edin

Matt Kettler schrieb:
At 03:27 AM 11/21/2003, Edin Dizdarevic wrote:

Stream4_reassemble:
Deactivate ports you're not using.
Port 53 -> DNS is using UDP, AFAIK Stream4_reassemble is for TCP only.

DNS can be done over TCP as well as UDP, although TCP is much less common most DNS servers support both. Usually TCP is only used for larger queries like large zone transfers.

It's also a preferred connection method when exploiting DNS servers, since it's easier to get a shell on a two-way connection.

Unless you've got port 53/tcp filtered at your firewall, definitely keep stream4 on port 53.

--
Edin Dizdarevic