Snort mailing list archives

Re: ACID / ALERT console browsing issue

From: adam_peterson () splwg com
Date: Tue, 25 Nov 2003 13:33:28 -0800

I've had similar issues and tried tweaking everything possible.  The only
solution was more powerful hardware on the machine running ACID.  I'm not
sure if that's the case for you but if you're logging the alerts to the
same machine that's running ACID and you see that it's faster when Snort
isn't running, I think this is the case.  I moved MySQL and ACID to a dual
XEON 2ghz with 2gb RAM and it's now faster than I ever thought possible. I
used to run the same setup on Solaris 8 on a Sunfire V100, faster than
what you have (I think) and even on that it was intolerably slow.  The
reason I finally moved everything to the dual XEON machine was because I
average about 1000 alerts per day globally (5 sensors) and MySQL would
timeout when I tried deleting more than a couple thousand alerts.  I
thought MySQL needed to be tweaked but like I said, I tried and tried to
no avail.  My guess is hardware.

Adam Peterson | Senior WAN Engineer | SPL WorldGroup |
adam_peterson () splwg com | +1.415.357.4787