Snort mailing list archives

Snort Compile Error: "Undefined referenence to uncompress"

From: "Infosec Account" <INFOSEC () mcmwatch com>
Date: Tue, 07 Oct 2003 17:33:31 -0400

Hi All,

I'm getting the same error either during the make or configure of snort (see below for specifics) in reference to an
error with the libmysqlclient.a file and uncompress:

/usr/local/mysql/lib/libmysqlclient.a(my_compress.o): In function `my_compress_alloc':
my_compress.o(.text+0xb4): undefined reference to `compress'
/usr/local/mysql/lib/libmysqlclient.a(my_compress.o): In function `my_uncompress':
my_compress.o(.text+0x12a): undefined reference to `uncompress'
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
make[3]: *** [snort] Error 1
make[3]: Leaving directory `/download/snort-2.0.2/src'
make[2]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
make[2]: Leaving directory `/download/snort-2.0.2/src'
make[1]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory `/download/snort-2.0.2'
make: *** [all] Error 2
dbmc1:/download/snort-2.0.2#

The above is during a make, while building the mysql output plugin.

I've read about two-dozen posts on the net and tried all their suggestions before joining and posting to this group.
The error first occured during the configure, but adding --with-zlib to the config line pushed the error off until the
make. I've read several suggestions to install zlib - I've installed it, first by making it from source, then by
force-installing the debian package over it.

I even reinstalled the MySQL from scratch after the entire fiasco, but no beans.

Here is what I am using:

Debian Linux Kernel ver. 2.4.18
MySQL Ver4.0.15a - Built from source - Installed and runs fine, all permissions set.
zlib-1.1.4

Anyone have a solution that a network admin can understand?

Thanks for your help,

Mike