Snort mailing list archives

RE: Snort Sensor Hardware

From: <CGhercoias () TWEC COM>
Date: Wed, 10 Dec 2003 16:54:39 -0500

Yes. If you chose SourceFire you'll get signatures way ahead open-source community, plus actually many more signatures
that roughly 2000 signatures that are currently on snort.org.
At least this is what I was told by a SourceFire representative. And I believe is true.
Actually, don't you think that should be in this way? Customers who are paying big bucks should get signatures and
support for their money, whereas we, the rest of us, which are taking things for free and use them in corporate
environments should be left aside a little bit.
Personally I think in this way should be. You pay you get something, you don't pay, take something for free
then......don't complain.
Plus what can be so difficult to write your own signatures? Put a sniffer on your network edge and start writing
signatures.

Goodies? Well. At least one I would mention here. The underlying database in SourceFire is not MySQL, but something
proprietary to them, and the front-end is lighting fast.
I've seen a box with 8 million alerts (yes, MILLIONS) in the database, with 5 users connected to it querying the same
database(everything running in the same box -- sensor, database, front-end) and everything was running amazingly fast.
Try and do the same thing with MySQL and ACID and we will talk then.
I had this experience when Blaster hit first time in August this year, and I can tell was not fun.

Demarc? I tested it, since very beginning, when they were having just two products - Demarc personal and Demarc
Professional. Not impressed. Vice versa I would say. Slow, and buggy. Sorry guys, but that's it.

Prelude IDS (www.prelude-ids.org) is something which someone mention it here in list, but they have to came a long way
with documentation.
Is still in its infancy stage.

Thank you,
Catalin Ghercoias
WEB/Network Security Administrator

website: http://www.fye.com

The content of this communication is classified as Transworld Entertainment Confidential and Proprietary
Information.The content of this communication is intended solely for the use of the individual or entity to whom it is
addressed and others authorized to receive it. If you are not the intended recipient you are hereby notified that any
disclosure, copying, distribution or taking any action in reliance on the contents of this information is strictly
prohibited and may be unlawful. If you have received this communication in error, please notify us immediately by
responding to this communication then delete it from your system.