Snort mailing list archives

Re: CyberKit 2.2 Ping, its driven me Nuts..

From: alexanderhampel () netscape net (Alexander Hampel)
Date: Mon, 29 Dec 2003 14:55:47 -0500

I use a custom cron script, that checks every minute for CyberKit 2.2 alerts originating from within our Class B
network. It gets the MAC address of the offending PC through 'nbtscan', and sends popup warning messages to the
offender via 'smbclient -M'. It further logs the offending PC's NetBIOS name, IP, MAC, and sends out a text page via
'mailto', so the antivirus team can take care of the infected PC.

External Cyberkit 2.2 alerts are being ignored. Incoming ports 135 and tftp are of course blocked at the firewall to
prevent infection from the outside.

Alexander

Erwin Van de Velde <erwin.vandevelde () ua ac be> wrote:

Hi,

Commenting it out will make you bind for internal infections!!!
I don't think it is good to comment it out, just adapt it if you really want
to get rid of the alerts. Otherwise: filtering afterwards on alerts itself.
This way you will keep statistical information on virus activity, which can
be nice to show your boss :-)
It's also a good thing to keep an eye on general internet activity and
commenting all those nasty alerts out isn't the way to do that.

Greetings,
Erwin Van de Velde
Student of Antwerp University
Belgium