Snort mailing list archives

Re: (http\_inspect) NON-RFC DEFINED CHAR

From: Jeff Kell <jeff-kell () utc edu>
Date: Tue, 30 Dec 2003 11:41:12 -0500

CMartin () infosol com wrote:

Well, I checked out what I could.  Non-RFP Defined CHAR is a warning that
the new http_inspect gives you.  Quote from manual: "For instance, a user
may not want to see NULL bytes in the request-URI" (also known as URL) "and
we can give an alert on that."  In the http_inspect configuration you can
define what characters to look for.  Also you can tell the http inspect
processor to alert when this (and other http_inspect warnings) occur.

I suggest checking out the new documentation for snort 2.1.0.. VERY
interesting and awesome new features added with snort2.1.0!

I'm getting loads of these, as well as double-decode warnings from people using hotmail. I don't want to have to make config entries for all of the hotmail servers... also NON-RFC Delimiter errors in P2P traffic. I would prefer that it only look at URIs from $EXTERNAL_NET.

Jeff