Snort mailing list archives

RE: What are the differences between and IPS and IDS?

From: "Michael Steele" <michaels () winsnort com>
Date: Wed, 1 Oct 2003 22:27:02 -0700

Kavita,

In Short.

IPS is a Firewall - Actually blocks traffic

IDS is Snort - Only alerts on traffic

This is one on the BIG misconceptions of Snort. People expect it to actually
protect their system and that is not what it was designed to do.

Cheers...

-Michael Steele
--
 System Engineer / Security Support Technician
 mailto:michaels () winsnort com

  _____