Snort mailing list archives

Re: Snort and SSL

From: Rudi Starcevic <rudi () oasis net au>
Date: Sat, 18 Oct 2003 10:06:24 +1000

Hi Paul,

I'm not sure about Snort and SSL and I look forward to seeing some replies.
If your using Apache you can monitor decrypted SSL using mod_security.

http://www.modsecurity.org/

There are many other excellent features in this module which is so simple to install and use.

There's even a script to convert Snort rules into mod_security rules !

I use both Snort and mod_security.

Hope this helps.
Best regards
Rudi.

Sheahan, Paul wrote:

I was reading some old threads on possibilities of using Snort to monitor SSL traffic using SSLDump and other means. If
a hacker is smart and is determined not to get caught, they are going to send their web application attacks using https
where possible, so being able to monitor SSL traffic is a must.

Has anyone successfully setup Snort to monitor SSL traffic?

Thanks,
Paul