Snort mailing list archives

Re: Troubles With Multiple Sensors

From: Erek Adams <erek () snort org>
Date: Fri, 24 Oct 2003 14:36:03 -0400 (EDT)

On Thu, 23 Oct 2003, Tim Rohrer wrote:

I am looking for more help as I continue to learn this thing : )

I have added a second NIC to the computer I am using for snort and
have connected it to the shared uplink port on my switch (I am trying
to confirm with the manufacturer that this port gets broadcasted
traffic).  I gave the NIC an IP address not on my home network.  To
test, I issued the command:

Uplink usually means just that.  The 'upstream' link back to the
'network'.  I don't think it's going to do what you want.  (See below)

snort -v -i eth1 but I am not getting anything at all.

Try:

        snort -dv -i eth1

Instead.  The d tells Snort to decode and v tells it to print on the
screen.

Do I need to be doing something different to test a second sensor?
Is the fact that I am not detecting any traffic a good sign that the
uplink port IS NOT doing what I hoped?

I had tried placing an inexpensive 10M hub between my cable modem and
the router but the cable modem would not pass any traffic to the hub.
: (

Unless your cable modem is spitting out ethernet frames on the backside,
and you don't need anything else to get online, then it won't work.  If
you can't connect a ethernet cable into the back of your cable modem and
then connect that to a computer, and get network--You won't see any
traffic.  Some of those cable modems depend on a router on the back side
to actually do translation into the ether frames instead of doing it by
thierself.

There are other possiblities, but that's usually the most common.

Cheers!

-----
Erek Adams