Snort mailing list archives

RE: Dropping packets why?

From: Matt Kettler <mkettler () evi-inc com>
Date: Mon, 27 Oct 2003 20:37:29 -0500

At 06:50 PM 10/27/2003, Elijah Savage wrote:
Thank you all for reading my post but it seems you all did not read it
and looked at my measly hardware and wanted to jump all over it. But
this is for a cable internet connection 3megabitsDown/512up This machine
should be way more than enough to keep up considering some of the
hardware I have seen on some of the connections they are using.

Even at such a low data rate, a k6-2 will not be sufficient with the default preprocessor set.

You can read some of my notes here:

http://archives.neohapsis.com/archives/snort/2003-06/0228.html
http://archives.neohapsis.com/archives/snort/2003-06/0448.html

Admittedly I was using a p-166 and less ram and a lower-end NIC, but my drop rates were nearly 30% with a more-or-less default setup (using tcpdump binary packet logging). I was sniffing a 2mbit/2mbit line, tapped using a pure-passive 10mbit hub. This box was also not a router or anything else and was 100% dedicated to using snort.

Using 100mbit nics is going to increase the short-term burst rate at which packets can arrive, this will make things a little worse for snort than I had.. You're also monitoring a line in which the downstream rate is 50% higher. And using your snort box as some kind of firewall/router, which will take some CPU away from snort, a problem I did not have (my snort box did nothing more than a pair of "block all" rules, and did no forwarding or routing).