Snort mailing list archives

Re: Snort install error finding mysql.h

From: Perkins () mosaid com
Date: Tue, 28 Oct 2003 11:49:52 -0500

The mysql.h file is part of the "mysql-devel" rpm.

It is under   /usr/include/mysql/mysql.h

You most likely just need to install that rpm.

I run snort on Redhat 7.3 and I just used "./configure --with-mysql" and
v2.0.2 compiles just fine.

--
   - Daniel
Daniel Perkins            MOSAID Technologies INC.

|---------+--------------------------------------->
|         |           "Cluett, Russell"           |
|         |           <russell.cluett () eds com>    |
|         |           Sent by:                    |
|         |           snort-users-admin () lists sour|
|         |           ceforge.net                 |
|         |                                       |
|         |                                       |
|         |           10/28/03 10:55 AM           |
|         |                                       |
|---------+--------------------------------------->
  |                                                                                                              |
  |       To:       snort-users () lists sourceforge net                                                            |
  |       cc:                                                                                                    |
  |       Subject:  [Snort-users] Snort install error finding mysql.h                                            |

I'm trying to install snort-2.0.2 on a RedHat 7.3 box with mysql server
4.0.16-0 and mysql client 4.0.16-0.
I know it's an older version of RedHat but I have reasons for needing it.
Mysql is in /usr/bin as installed by rpm, and I've tried the same thing
with
mysql installed by the tarball.
Snort is in /etc/snort/snort-2.0.2

./configure --with-mysql returns an error as follows:

             ERROR: unable to find mysql headers (mysql.h)
             Checked in the following place
             /usr/include
             /usr/include/mysql
             /usr/local/include
             /usr/local/include/mysql

I've Googled this and found:
1) that mysql.h is supposed to be included in libmysqlclient10-dev but I
can't find it anywhere.

2) someone suggested changing the configure script to read ./configure
--with-mysql include /usr/bin/mysql
I tried this but received this error:
Configure: error: /bin/sh ./config/sub include failed

I'm getting tired of banging my head against the wall, it's starting to
affect my vision :-)
Anyone have any ideas?
TIA
Russ Cluett CISSP GCIH
Senior Information Security Analyst
Electronic Data Systems - EDS
AVIEN Founding Member
* phone: 613-726-4539
<<mailto:russell.cluett () eds com <mailto:russell.cluett () eds com> >>