Snort mailing list archives

remote database logging

From: "Majwabu, Richard" <RMAJWABU () GAPAC com>
Date: Wed, 29 Oct 2003 08:57:00 -0500

hi all
I'm a newbie to snort, forgive the infantile questions.

1.
I'm trying to set up remote databasee logging, the database is going to be SQL, I have compiled snort but did not use
the --prefix -mysql /usr/path/tomysql, do I need to go back and do this .....?, or is enough to just edit the
snort.conf file and specify my database info...?

2.
The Linux machine running snort has 2nics, eth1 connects to the span port on DMZ switch, that said , should I not be
able to specify my home network as such 'var HOME_NET eth1_204.220.226.0/24' or 'var HOME_NET 204.220.226.0/24'....?,
snort doesnt seem to like any of these

3.
I get this error when attempting to run snort

ERROR: Unable to open rules file: classification.config or /etc/classification.c
onfig
Fatal Error, Quitting..

Thanks in advance.