Snort mailing list archives

RE: Rogue DHCP servers

From: Gilbert Mendoza <linuxcruiser () yahoo com>
Date: Fri, 31 Oct 2003 07:25:41 -0800 (PST)

I read this about 3 weeks ago.

http://security.itworld.com/4363/ITW3542/page_1.html

To sum up the article, you need make a custom rule
that looks for all DHCP requests, but ignore your
approved DHCP server messages.  The two rules look
like so (Your DHCP Server as X.X.X.X):

pass udp X.X.X.X 67 -> any 68;
alert udp !$RES_NET 67 -> any 68 (msg: "Rogue DHCP
server...");

Make sure you add the "--o" option when you start
snort.  This reverses the order in which it reads the
snort.conf rules, considering "pass" statements before
"alert".

Have a great day,

-GM

"If at first you don't succeed...
      You must be using Windows."

--- "Martin Jr., D. Michael" <martinm () montevallo edu>
wrote:
ACLs are your friends.  BUT, when you have legacy
wiring and hubs and
all of the users on one VLAN (and that is your only
choice because of
the wiring and existing infrastructure), ACLs aren't
that viable.

In our setting, each person in our residence halls
is connected to a
10Mb Baystack Hub.  In turn, each building (with
multiple hubs in the
building) is then connected to a central campus
Cisco switch.  We could
implement ACLs at that switch level but that does
not keep students from
putting DHCP servers (and routers...and they buy
those for their rooms
all the time) within the building.

I need to use Snort to detect those routers in those
building
proactively so we can go and find them and
disconnect them from the
network so that services can be restored to the rest
of the student
population.

Thanks,

Michael