Snort mailing list archives

Re: Snort on Linux with no IP

From: Yonah Russ <yonah () mirimar net>
Date: Sun, 22 Feb 2004 23:34:30 +0200

eth1 is the name for the second network card in a BSD or Linux machine. Each network card is called eth for ethernet and is number from 0 and up to however many network cards you have (minus 1).

It seems your machine either has only one network card or it may not have the proper driver modules loaded.

If you only have one network card, you could try using eth0 instead but you obviously won't be able to use regular network from that computer.

Hope this helps.
Yonah

--
Yonah Russ - Mirimar Networks
http://www.mirimar.net/

Brian McNeilly wrote:

Hi,

I apologise in advance for the newbie question, which undoubtedly has been discussed to death already. Before you send me to the FAQ, here is the relevant snippit from there:

3.1 How do I setup snort on a 'stealth' interface?

  *BSD and Linux:

    ifconfig eth1 up

OK, so I do this and the response I get is: eth1: unknown interface: No such device

Can anyone elaborate on the rather limited response found in the FAQ for this issue? Is seems to me that many people have asked about this before, but there never has been an appropriate explanation put into the FAQ (I've just spent the entire afternoon reading mail archives to no avail). Sorry if I'm just stupid, but the FAQ isn't really helpful on this issue.

Cheers,

Brian McNeilly

------------------------------------------------------- SF.Net is sponsored by: Speed Start Your Linux Apps Now. Build and deploy apps & Web services for Linux with a free DVD software kit from IBM. Click Now! http://ads.osdn.com/?ad_id=1356&alloc_id=3438&op=click _______________________________________________ Snort-users mailing list Snort-users () lists sourceforge net Go to this URL to change user options or unsubscribe: https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/snort-users Snort-users list archive: http://www.geocrawler.com/redir-sf.php3?list=snort-users