Snort mailing list archives

Investigating mangled packets from pre-processor

From: twig les <twigles () yahoo com>
Date: Mon, 1 Mar 2004 16:59:38 -0800 (PST)

Hey *, I'm looking at a bunch of messages regarding mangled
packets like these:

snort: [116:55:1] (snort_decoder): Truncated Tcp Options {TCP}
x.x.x.35:80 -> x.x.x.113:32190
(snort_decoder) WARNING: TCP Header length exceeds packet
length! {TCP} x.x.x.82:0 -> x.x.x.113:0

There are others but you get it.  My dilemma is that I'm not
sure how to figure out the source of these alarms or if they are
false alarms or not.  I have a suspect box in mind but I need
some proof (stupid scientific method...grumble grumble).  I
can't think of a way to capture this type of packet with TCPDump
and I can't do anything tricky with Snort since this is not a
signature.  Am I missing something?

Our Snort is Version 2.0.5 (Build 98) reporting to syslog only.

=====