Snort mailing list archives

alert messages

From: "Rodrigo B. Ramos" <rodrigo.ramos () triforsec com br>
Date: Wed, 03 Mar 2004 17:17:32 -0300

Hi!

Can anyone help me in the following job?

The X Company has more than 1000 machines (desktop and servers) on their
WAN. They installed snort as an IDS, they are logging remotely and
sending alerts by email and by sms to mobiles.

What are the best steps to customize the alerts? The phone company
thought that the servers were doing some spam jobs. They send many, many
alerts and probably almost flood the phone phone company network.

What is the best way to tell the system to send alerts? Which math
should I use?

I know I can know have to disable some types of rules that just can't
affect the ambient, I know I can count packets by priorities, by type of
alerts, by packets, ... But what math can I use to send the alerts
without flooding mail boxes and mobiles?

Best Regards,
--
Rodrigo Buarque Ramos
GPG KEY ID: 0x71CFE098 --> http://pgp.mit.edu