Snort mailing list archives

Repost: resp:rst_all not working

From: Venkata Raghavan <dvrnews () yahoo co in>
Date: Fri, 5 Mar 2004 09:00:06 +0000 (GMT)

Hi all

I posted this some time back but did not get a reply. So I am reposting in the hope of getting help.

I recently installed snort 2.1.1 following Patrick Harper's guide on a RH 9 with mysql and acid. I was able to complete
the install and snort and acid work great.
Since I also want to be able to reset connections as well, I reran ./configure with the flexresp option and this too
I've got working.
To test if this works I added the following to smtp.rules
alert tcp any any -> $HOME_NET 25 (msg:"SMTP Rule Testing"; flow:to_server,established; content:"test"; nocase;resp:
rst_all;)
After this, when I lauch an telnet (port 25) session to an SMTP server from my  windows client, the alert gets
generated. But there is no reset. Then I tried the
telnet from a linux PC - this time it gets reset.
WHen I check the packets sent using ethereal, I observe that whereas from a windows PC the data "test" comes as four
packets, from a linux PC "test" comes as a data of
single packet. I guess this is a problem with the WinXP version of Telnet  client. What should I do to make snort see
all of them as a single session.

Should I try streams or something. If so can somebody guide me to a resource about
that.
It surprises me that the alert should fire but the resp: action is not carried out.

Regards
Venkat