Snort mailing list archives

Re: Hummm...

From: Martin Roesch <roesch () sourcefire com>
Date: Mon, 15 Mar 2004 18:09:01 -0500

Hi Chad & Shannon,

The gigabit sensor (NS 3000) is only available via Sourcefire or one of our partners currently, the Dell relationship is selling our NS500/NS1000 appliances only right now. We're waiting to see how things go with the reseller relationship before we commit to rolling our full set of product offerings.

As far as Sourcefire pricing is concerned, our IDS pricing is in line with other enterprise-grade IDS vendors. Sourcefire isn't just shipping "Snort on a box", we've got a considerable amount of custom software including reporting tools, a data (event) analysis interface, incident handling interface, policy builder, rules management, system administration interface, online docs and so on built into our devices in addition to our tech support, installation and training that we offer as a corporation. This is very different then just enabling some linux features, installing Snort and then slapping MySQL/ACID on the box and calling it a day, our systems are robust and built to scale.

If you want to use a metaphor for what we're doing, we can go to the overused car thing. You can buy a VW with a Porsche engine in it and it's just a VW. We're building Porsche's over here (well, more like big trucks, but you get the picture).

The $8k machine is *engineered* to handle 45Mbps, it'll handle precisely that amount while giving you the ability to go from out-of-the-box to up-and-running in about 20 minutes and have everything right there and running that you need to do intrusion detection while being easy to use/administer and very scalable. If it breaks you get a phone number that's manned 24x7 to call, if you want training on the product and how to do IDS we can provide that too. We also have enterprise features like built-in load balancing, hot failover for our management console, a high performance built-in data management system, etc.

I guess what I'm saying is that when I started Sourcefire the original mission was to figure out how to get people to want to pay for something that's free. The only way to get there is if you add enough value so that people feel compelled to pay for it, that's what we've really worked hard to do. We've got a several hundred customers who believe that we are providing enough value to spend money because they recognize the value of what we've built.

     -Marty