Snort mailing list archives

RE: Great news! Snort not logging to the /var/log/snort/aler tfile

From: "Jim Hendrick" <jrhendri () maine rr com>
Date: Thu, 25 Mar 2004 07:25:08 -0500

Alan,

I am now curious if you are logging via syslog (which might explain why it
is going to the messages file)
That would be specified as "alert_syslog" somewhere in your
<snortdir>/etc/snort.conf or whatever conf file you are pointing to when
snort starts.

It might really help you to rebuild snort a few times from source, reading
and understanding the configuration defaults.

Most things are specified at compile time using options to "configure" or at
run time with options in the snort.conf or on the command line
(in that order, i.e. command-line overrides conf overrides compile default)

General tip:
learn "find" and "grep" and your life building source will be much happier.
Here's a quick couple of examples:

in the <snortdir>/doc directory, look for which files contain the string
"/var/log/snort"

[hendrick@vall doc]$ grep -l "/var/log/snort" *
README
USAGE
grep: signatures: Is a directory
snort_manual.tex
[hendrick@vall doc]$

The "-l" tells grep to simply list the filenames.

Or find all files in this subtree and do the same thing to them:

[hendrick@vall snort-2.1.1-RC1]$ find . -type f -exec grep -l
"/var/log/snort" {} \;
./ChangeLog
./snort.8
./src/parser.c
./src/snort.h
./src/parser.o
./src/snort.o
./src/snort
./doc/README
./doc/FAQ
./doc/snort_manual.tex
./doc/USAGE
./contrib/rpm/snortd
./contrib/rpm/snort.logrotate
./contrib/rpm/snort.org.spec
./contrib/rpm/snort.sysconfig
./contrib/address_config.sh
[hendrick@vall snort-2.1.1-RC1]$

Aha! Looks like a header file (./src/snort.h) has that in it... Look for it
in that file (without the "-l" this time)

[hendrick@vall snort-2.1.1-RC1]$ grep "/var/log/snort" ./src/snort.h
    #define DEFAULT_LOG_DIR            "/var/log/snort"
[hendrick@vall snort-2.1.1-RC1]$

Not to discourage you from posting questions to mailing lists, but you will
find your own brain has a shorter response time once you learn a couple of
these basic techniques :-)

Later,
Jim