Snort mailing list archives

RE: TTL LIMIT Exceeded

From: Alejandro Flores <alejandro.flores () triforsec com br>
Date: Sat, 27 Mar 2004 09:48:25 -0300

        Hello there,

        These alerts are generated when you have specified the option
'ttl_limit' in your stream4 preprocessor, and a router flap occurs. If
you look in the snort manual, it tells that if you configure this
option, may generate lots of false positives with router flaps.
        google "router flap".

Regards,
Alejandro Flores

I'm seeing "(spp_stream4) TTL LIMIT Exceeded  {TCP}" alerts in Snort.

Occasionally I see web requests arriving at my web server with a TTL of 5.
Then the following packets decrement down to 4, 3, 2, 1, then zero, which
generates a TTL LIMIT EXCEEDED. Just curious if anyone knows what the intent
would be in purposely send web requests with a low TTL to generate this
message?

Thanks

--TriForSec
http://www.triforsec.com.br/