Snort mailing list archives

Re: Upgrade to 2.1.0 help needed

From: tslighter <tslighter () itc nrcs usda gov>
Date: Mon, 12 Jan 2004 10:36:23 -0700

Dave C wrote:

----- Original Message ----- From: "shadow man" <sp33di3 () hotmail com>
To: <snort-users () lists sourceforge net>
Sent: Thursday, January 08, 2004 3:27 PM
Subject: [Snort-users] Upgrade to 2.1.0 help needed

Trying to upgrade a working snort 2.0.0 on RH9 to 2.1.0 isn't going so
well.
downloaded 2.1.0
renamed /etc/snort /etc/old-snort
recreated /etc/snort

whereis mysql
mysql: /usr/local/mysql

./configure --with-mysql=/usr/local/mysql
make
make install

fixed up the snort.conf using the details from my old snort.conf.
Including
the database connection string.

restart and snort isn't running so I tried this

snort -c /etc/snort/snort.conf

and get this
<snipped>
database: compiled support for ( )
database: configured to use mysql
database: 'mysql' support is not compiled into this build of snort

ERROR: If this build of snort was obtained as a binary distribution (e.g.,
rpm,
or Windows), then check for alternate builds that contains the necessary
'mysql' support.

If this build of snort was compiled by you, then re-run the
the ./configure script using the '--with-mysql' switch.
For non-standard installations of a database, the '--with-mysql=DIR'
syntax may need to be used to specify the base directory of the DB
install.
See the database documentation for cursory details (doc/README.database).
and the URL to the most recent database plugin documentation.
Fatal Error, Quitting..

I've tried this a few times with no luck.  Suggestions please?

It's not a matter of where the mysql binary is but where the mysql
source files are.

i think your easiest way to do this would be to mv the old snort directory and then tar/gunzip the new source code and from the new source directory issue the "./configure --with-mysql" and "make" and "make install". once you get all of that in place, copy all of your old rules files into the new source/rules directory and what i usually do is cut and paste the essential parts of my old snort.conf file into the new one, or in this case, i just cut and paste the http_inspect sections into my old file and commented out the old http preprocessor section (as this does not work with the new build), also cut and paste the new portsscan section if you wish to use that from the new source.