Snort mailing list archives

Re: ACID v0.9.6b24, spp_portscan2 and spp_portscan

From: "Richard Pesce" <RPesce () co amador ca us>
Date: Tue, 13 Jan 2004 12:11:33 -0800

This isn't going to fix the logging of the portscans, only the display
of them in ACID...

This may insult you, but when you declare your output method are you
outputting alerts?
i.e.:
output database: alert, mysql, dbname=snortdb user=snort host=localhost
password=mypassword sensor_name=UNTRUST detail=full encoding=hex
or are you outputting logs? if it is logs then the portscan
preprocessors will not output to the database!

also.
check the acid_conf.php and make sure the $portscan_file var is
declared.
i.e.:
$portscan_file = "/var/log/snort/scan.log";

Remember: Acid can not natively access both spp_portscan and
spp_portscan2 log files concurrently.
However, I believe that spp_portscan2 log is not required by acid like
the spp_portscan was, although it couldn't hurt.

Michael Scheidell <scheidell () secnap net> 01/13/04 11:55AM >>>

It may be that the wildcards are causing high database
utilization...

probaly the leading %.  Can't get a handle on an index.

How many alerts do you have? (approx)
400K
Were you experiencing the problem that I entended to "fix"?

still only shows some very old 'syn scan portscans'

I don't seem to long them still.
--
Michael Scheidell
SECNAP Network Security Corporation