Snort mailing list archives

Re: Is IPTables blocking Snort detection?

From: Matt Kettler <mkettler () evi-inc com>
Date: Mon, 19 Jan 2004 11:45:20 -0500

At 10:33 AM 1/19/2004, Stephen W. Corey - 5535 wrote:
If I've got everything firewalled on my Linux-Snort box using IPTables except for SSH, will that limit what Snort (and the promiscuous mode NIC) is able to see & detect? Just curious... Thanks!

No.. it won't. I regularly configure my snort interfaces with "block all" rules (although I mostly do this on OpenBSD and Linux 2.2.x, I have tried it on 2.4.x w/iptables before)

In general IPChains, IPTables, ipfw, and other *nix kernel firewalls are implemented as a filter right before data enters or leaves the TCP/IP stack.

Snort uses libpcap, and gets packets directly from the ethernet layer and thus sees more-or-less everything that actually appears on the wire, regardless of what IPTables is doing.

Of course, if IPTables prevents the local system from sending a packet out, snort will never see it, because it never got queued to be sent to the ethernet device.

If you want to be sure, run tcpdump and watch.