Snort mailing list archives

Snort FAQ Submission

From: Erich Trowbridge <ewtrowbr () yahoo com>
Date: Sun, 18 Jan 2004 23:04:24 -0600

Snort Gods,

        There are many questions in the archives about this error... I beat it
up for a while with my limited knowledge of C and linux in general. Here
is what I did to get the thing working. I think it's probably worth a
faq addition. At least something like this in the faq would have helped
me...

Compilation errors during 'make'

        libmysqlclient.a(my_compress.o): In function `my_uncompress':
           my_compress.o(.text+0x9a): undefined reference to `uncompress'
        libmysqlclient.a(my_compress.o): In function `my_compress_alloc':
           my_compress.o(.text+0x12a): undefined reference to `compress'

        The linker is unable to resolve certain compression routines needed by
the MySQL client library. To fix, take the following steps.
make clean
in the ./src/Makefile change this line...
LIBS = -lz -lpcre -lpcap -lm -lnsl  -lmysqlclient
to read...
LIBS = -lz -lpcre -lpcap -lm -lnsl  -lmysqlclient -lz
cd ..
make
make install

This worked for me.