Snort mailing list archives

react: block not working

From: "Micheal.Cottingham" <micheal.cottingham () svccchr1 sv vccs edu>
Date: Fri, 06 Feb 2004 09:25:47 -0500

As per the subject, react: block does not seem to be working. ACID is still picking up the alerts even though react:
block is set. An example
rule is:

alert icmp $EXTERNAL_NET any -> $HOME_NET any (msg: "ICMP Large ICMP Packet"; dsize: > 800; react: block; reference:
arachnids, 246;
side: 499; rev: 3 classtype: bad-unknown;)

I am doing this for other things such as MSSQL Propogation Attempt, NMAP Ping, etc. I especially want to block ICMP
Large Packet as the
TTL's have been modified, and the payload is a bit screwy to say the least. MSSQL Propogation Attempt is another big
one on my list. I am in a
pure windows environment and my boss is not favorable of *nix, so hogwash is out of the question I'm afraid.
snort-inline is also just *nix if I
am not mistaken, is it not? I am using Snort 2.1. Any help would be greatly appreciated.