Snort mailing list archives

RE: Managing many sensors

From: "robert schwartz" <robert () mrsquirrel com>
Date: Tue, 6 Jan 2004 13:02:43 -0800

To close the loop here then, I have oinkmaster running on the "master"
and it triages the rules to maintain my settings in a "dummy" directory.
When the rules are updated (or even a change to oinkmaster.conf which
fires off oinkmaster so no hand editing of rules is ever done) they are
blasted out to the remote sensors and snort is killed.  Daemontools
starts snort up fresh w/ the new rules.  So my rule management is
sorted.

The last question I have is when I want to upgrade the remote sensors,
do I just overwrite the old snort binary with the new snort binary and
kill the snort process (then daemontools will start the new binary with
the rules from the master)?  Are there other files I need to copy over
to "upgrade" to the newest snort?