Snort mailing list archives

Ignoring arbitrary ports for certain rules

From: "AJ Butcher, Information Systems and Computing" <Alex.Butcher () bristol ac uk>
Date: Thu, 20 May 2004 11:36:26 +0100

Hi -

I'm finding that a lot of our false positives are being caused by probable P2P traffic and so I'd like to disable certain rules if they come from, or go to well-known P2P ports. I know I could do this over the entire snort ruleset by using a BPF filter, but I'd prefer not to do that unless there's no other way.

Essentially, I'd like to do something like:

var P2P_PORTS [5541,6346:6352,6881:6884]

and then use something like:

alert tcp any !P2P_PORTS <> $HOME_NET !P2P_PORTS ...

I can't seem to find any syntax (spaces, commas, square brackets) to allow this, and in fact, I suspect it isn't possible. Can anyone confirm or deny this?

Thanks,
Alex.