Snort mailing list archives

Re: About virus.rules

From: kenw () kmsi net
Date: Sat, 29 May 2004 23:02:11 -0600

On Mon, 17 May 2004 13:22:18 -0500, you wrote:

On Mon, May 17, 2004 at 10:55:48AM -0400, Matt Kettler wrote:
At 03:43 AM 5/17/2004, etienne.causse () pierre-fabre com wrote:
"# NOTE: These rules are NOT being actively maintained.
# These rules are going away.  We don't care about virus rules anymore."

Although, I see that there are more rules than the only one listed in this
file on snort.org.

So my question is quite simple : why is there no support for virus rules
any more ?

Simple answer: Because AFAIK nobody has volunteered to be the official
maintainer of the rules.

I volunteered some time ago, but never received a response.  So,
I can only assume I'm either worthless or they aren't looking for
a maintainer :)  I would hope the 2nd as they say the rules are
going away and they don't care.

-=Mike

I agree with your sentiment, but is there any reason "they" have to respond
at all?  AFAIK, if you want to maintain a rule set, and post it
occasionally or put it on a ftp/web site, nobody's stopping you, and many
people will be appreciative.

I nearly did it myself a while back, but got too busy.  Collected a number
of signatures, but it's getting out of date; haven't even browsed this list
for a while.

Granted that using snort to detect email-borne viruses is probably
low-value, because it will tell you little about their source.  However,
detecting the network activity of worms, network-propagating viruses, and
trojans if possible, can be very useful, and provides information not
available from protection software.

In fact, for smaller sites, I suspect such detection could actually be of
greater value than any of the usual IDS-related functions.

/kenw
Ken Wallewein
K&M Systems Integration
Phone (403)274-7848