Snort mailing list archives

Snort& Intrusion Prevention

From: "Maetzky, Steffen (Extern)" <Steffen.Maetzky () gedas de>
Date: Wed, 2 Jun 2004 15:10:07 +0200

Hi,

I'd like to compare some possabilities of using snort as IPS.
I know the following plugins/ patches:

Flexresp/ flexresp2, Snort-inline, Guardian, Snortsam

I'd like to know if my understanding of them is right or not
and if there are further advantages, disadvantages I have not listed and
which depends directly to the architecture of one of the systems.

My understanding of them is the following:

1. Snort is getting in "Inline-Mode" (what does "Inline-Mode" mean?) if I
use flexresp, flexresp2 or snort-inline which means that snort can block
activly.

Advantage:
-> only the sessions is closed which is including a bad paket
-> no DoS over a special period like in other systems, only the bad paket is
blocked
-> no changes to the active firewall are made

Disadvantage:
-> snort drops packets during it blocks a session

2. If I use guardian or snortsam snort is still passiv and doesn't drop
packets but sessions are closed over a special period.
Guardian and snortsam reconfigure an active firewall directly.
-> DoS possible

Please, tell me what you know

Steffen