Snort mailing list archives

RE: Only half off topic..maybe

From: "Harper, Patrick" <patrick.harper () phns com>
Date: Wed, 2 Jun 2004 08:58:10 -0500

There is a sql script that comes with snort (as well as a db extra
script) that you have to run first.  Here is one way of doing it.  The
paths might be different for you but the method is about the same.

/usr/local/mysql/bin/mysql
mysql> SET PASSWORD FOR root@localhost=PASSWORD('new_password');
Query OK, 0 rows affected (0.25 sec)
mysql> create database snort;
Query OK, 1 row affected (0.01 sec)
mysql> grant INSERT,SELECT on root.* to snort@localhost;
Query OK, 0 rows affected (0.02 sec)
mysql> SET PASSWORD FOR snort@localhost=PASSWORD('new_password');
Query OK, 0 rows affected (0.25 sec)
mysql> grant CREATE, INSERT, SELECT, DELETE, UPDATE on snort.* to
snort@localhost;
Query OK, 0 rows affected (0.02 sec)
mysql> grant CREATE, INSERT, SELECT, DELETE, UPDATE on snort.* to snort;
Query OK, 0 rows affected (0.02 sec)
mysql> exit
Bye

From the Snort source directory execute the following command (when
working
with MySQL, if it asks

Then install the extra DB tables using the following command from the
contrib directory
(you will need to cd to contrib)
zcat snortdb-extra.gz |/usr/local/mysql/bin/mysql -p snort
Enter password:
Now you need to check and make sure that the snort DB was created
correctly
/usr/local/mysql/bin/mysql -p
Enter password:
mysql> SHOW DATABASES;