Snort mailing list archives

How do I upgrade Snort to the latest version?

From: "Lance Boon" <lboon () firststatebanksw com>
Date: Fri, 4 Jun 2004 09:20:59 -0500

I want to upgrade to the latest version of snort and was wondering how
to go about doing it. I've looked through the online users manual and
can't find anything telling how to upgrade or update snort. I've got 6
snort sensors on Fedora core1 logging to a centralized mysql server so
any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

This is what I'm thinking

/etc/rc5.d/S99snort stop

tar -xvzf snort-2.1.3.tar.gz
cd snort-2.1.3
./configure --with-mysql=/usr/local/mysql &&make &&make install

Installing the rules and conf file:
(From the Snort installation directory)
cd rules
cp * /etc/snort/rules
cd ../etc
cp *.conf /etc/snort
cp *.config /etc/snort
cp *.map /etc/snort

Then modify my snort.conf file accordingly?

Am I on the right track or has my train completely derailed.

I'm pretty sure this was covered in the Snort 2.0 Intrusion Detection
book but I don't have it with me and can't run out and get it right now.