Snort mailing list archives

RE: Event-Correlation& avoiding false positives

From: <hugh_fraser () dofasco ca>
Date: Tue, 8 Jun 2004 10:32:39 -0400

I agree with the author of the perl script mentioned here, who said

        "I don't know about you, but when someone is shooting bullets at
me, I would like to know they are shooting at me, even if they miss."

With that in mind, I don't disable any alerts in snort based upon a
profile of our infrastructure. All events seen are collected. I do,
however, apply some statistics to the events as they happen to identify
significant changes in behaviour. This allows me to flag changes in
activity (whether it's an event or a source or destination address), and
that change is often an indication of some kind of attack. Since I'm
collecting everything I can collect, the forensic step in an
investigation has all the information available, but I'm (ideally)
notified only when there's something to look at.