Snort mailing list archives

Re: Best Practices for external sensors

From: "M. Morgan" <mikemorgan () mindspring com>
Date: Thu, 17 Jun 2004 15:35:44 -0400 (GMT-04:00)

USe Open SSL for the encrypted transmission from snortcenter to mysql:
http://users.pandora.be/larc/download

 If you want to have a snort node sniffing outside the LAN and still have it pipe results back to the mysql database
you can set your sniffing NIC to 0.0.0.0 and 255.255.255.255, additionally, you'll need to set a "DROP if incoming
interface is eth0" rule in iptables so eth0 (the sniffed NIC) will discard any unsolicated traffic. Use tcpdump
<sniffed NIC> to check the NIC and be sure it is still sniffing traffic on the hostile segment.

 If the snort node has multiple NIC's edit the routing table (man route) to remove the defualt route from the sniffed
NIC, the internal NIC (eth1?) should have the route needed to reach the internal LAN.

The above methods will provide you with a NIC that is unresponsive to the hostile segment  and does nothing but sniff,
the other NIC (eth1) is used by the snort node to pipe results inbound with ssl.

You may also be able to drop incoming traffic on that mirrored port via the switch settings as an added precaution.

In addition, harden the sensor to the best of your ability via iptables, bastille or whatever makes you comfortable

I have a distributed snort/mysql/snortcenter NID system running here, if you need additional input email be privately
if you wish.

Michael