Snort mailing list archives

Re: How can I recognize Snort rules with high false positive rate?

From: "Keith W. McCammon" <keith-list () mccammon org>
Date: Thu, 17 Jun 2004 18:10:16 -0400

In my network, low false positive rate is very more important than low
false negative rate.

Ummm, I think you have it backwards. False positives suck, but they can be dealt with. False negatives mean that attacks are bypassing the sensor without detection. If you don't mind false negatives, you're wasting your time running an IDS.

I need someway to classify Snort rules to "with low false positive
rate" and "with high false positive rate" categories.
How can I recognize these rules?

No one but you can tell. Analysts determine false positives by looking at alert data in the context of their own environments, and determining which attacks are being caused by known valid traffic.

Does Snort rules' "classtype" and "priority" indicate their "false
positive(or negative) rate"?

No. See above. The classtype indicates a type or class of attack, such as privilege escalation. Priority indicates the pre-assigned severity of the attack. For instance, a ping sweep would have a lower priority that a buffer overflow, because one returns information to the attacker, and one give the attacker root.

If yes, how?
If no, how can I get some information about this?

I would recommend checking out Network Intrusion Detection by Novak and Northcutt. I think you're a little off base with the point if the system itself, and the analysts role in making the final determination between harmless and malicious detects.