Snort mailing list archives

advice on content rule for outgoing email

From: jeffs () speakeasy net
Date: Wed, 23 Jun 2004 23:31:27 +0000

Hello, and I'm glad to be part of this list.  I have snort version 2.1.3 running on IPCop and I am very pleased with
its results.

I am familiar with writing rules although not terribly experienced with it.  That is, I am familiar with the meaning
behind many of the tags.

Okay.  So I need a rule that will scan outgoing email content (not pop3 or smtp protocol, but rather IMAP emails, i.e,
going to port 80) for particular phrases or text.  I have succeeded in doing this with a simple rule, but that simple
rule also brings up alerts when those phrases are found in web pages due to normal surfing.

Anyway around this?

Thanks,

J.