Snort mailing list archives

Re: Barnyard not inserting into acid_*

From: Rudi Starcevic <tech () wildcash com>
Date: Thu, 24 Jun 2004 10:27:34 +1000

Hi,

Thanks for you reply.
I've looked into it further but still no joy.
Sorry to bother - I'm sure I have either a simple miss config I keep missing or perhaps
something underneath not happy on FreeBSD.

You only need log_acid_db, since alert_acid_db will only duplicate the
entries...  But that's not the root of your issue.
The only ouput filter I have in barnyard.conf is:
output alert_acid_db: mysql, sensor_id 1, database snort, server localhost, user root, password xxxx, detail full

After running:

/usr/local/barnyard/bin/barnyard -c /usr/local/snort/etc/barnyard.conf
-o /var/log/snort/snort.log.1087948218

Barnyard connects to mysql OK.
There are no error in my mysql or php log files.

Here is some line from wildpass.log ( mysql log )

10 Query       INSERT INTO udphdr (sid, cid, udp_sport, udp_dport) VALUES('1', '9735', '1376', '1434')
10 Query       SELECT sig_id FROM signature WHERE sig_name='MS-SQL Worm propagation attempt OUTBOUND' AND sig_rev=0 AND
sig_sid=2004
10 Query       INSERT INTO event(sid, cid, signature, timestamp) VALUES('1', '9736', '2', '2004-06-23 17: 52:55')
10 Query       INSERT INTO iphdr(sid, cid, ip_src, ip_dst, ip_proto) VALUES('1', '9736', '2898447641', '1122407842',
'17')

So I'm sure I can connect OK and no error messages but still no insert in acid_*.
The acid console connects OK but no stats on screen.

Hmm ... might have to go try on another machine as I'm a bit stumped.

Thanks
Regards
Rudi.

Do you have the snort database and tables created in the database? Can you connect to the database with mysql client with the root user
and manipulate the tables?  Enable error logging on the mysql server
and see what barnyard is trying to do.