Snort mailing list archives

Sneaky traffic WAS: RE: openaanval calling home

From: "Travis Wixel" <traxely () hotmail com>
Date: Tue, 20 Apr 2004 01:20:36 +0000

This URL was in the code:
http://update.aanval.com/updater/openaanval_ver

It is just pulling down the latest version of openaanval and checking that against the file:
/aanval_site_dir/version/version.txt

If they do not match it displays the new available version and gives you a link to download.

My install v1.42 was set to poll every 30 minutes (from process.php in the /apps/ dir)

This is easily turned off within your conf.php file:
$version_checking=1;

I on the other hand chose to leave it on, as it is a nice feature as long as they don't abuse it. I do think they need to publish that they do this, just as some of us are very very security aware and would want to know everything which is going on.