Snort mailing list archives

Snort newbie

From: Chris Strzelczyk <chris () stenchmaster com>
Date: Tue, 20 Apr 2004 11:12:56 -0400

Hello,

I am as green as they come to snort so I hope this question isn't too annoying.

I have a low traffic FreeBSD server that is on the same switch as two high traffic servers. I have installed snort and snortsnarf on this server. When I fire up Snort, my MRTG graphs go bonkers since I am listening to all traffic on the same switch. This slows my little server down to a snail's crawl. Is the only real way to fix this involve installing a separate switch for this machine to listen on. I have been through the documentation and I am not clear on how to make Snort listen and record only the traffic that is relevant to it. I appreciate any help you can give me on this.

Thank You.

-cs