Snort mailing list archives

Re: Snort start up on Multiple interface

From: Matt Kettler <mkettler () evi-inc com>
Date: Tue, 27 Apr 2004 16:15:12 -0400

At 01:02 PM 4/27/2004, Brian Webster wrote:
I have tried comma separted values eth0,eth1,eth2,eth3. no luck.
I don't really want to get multiple intances of snort running unless that is the only way.

AFAIK there's no support for specifying multiple interfaces to snort.

There's only 3 ways to do something like this:
        1) start multiple snorts
2) create a bonded interface which combines all 4 and start snort on that. 3) if you're on linux, you have the option of using "any" as an interface, which will pick up all the interfaces (including lo, if I'm not mistaken).

Fundamentally, a single snort opening 4 different ethernet ports is not substantialy lower overhead than 4 separate copies of snort, and the code is much less complex. Certainly the overhead savings is not enough to justify adding a ugly mess in the code that calls pcap, and add some minor slowdowns for every single-interface snort user.

Besides, bonded interfaces should let you do what you want without needing any support in the snort code.