Snort mailing list archives

Re: Snort on Suse Linux - snortd paths

From: Manuel Balderrábano <manuelb () tol-project org>(by way of Manuel Balderrábano <garibolo () wanadoo es>)
Date: Fri, 30 Apr 2004 10:57:11 +0200

For some reason I coludn't send it before, here it is:

Hi, I use Snort on SuSE 8.2 and 9.0.
Are you using the snort version that comes with SuSE?

If the answer is yes, you just have to select the interface and little more
in /etc/sysconfig/snort and everything else in /etc/snort/snort.conf

If you are installing a different version of Snort, you should first remove
the snort package, then compile and install snort from source. Then what I do
is:

mkdir /etc/snort; mkdir /var/log/snort
cp snort-source/etc/*  /etc/snort; cp -R snort-source/rules /etc/snort
And change the variable RULE_PATH to:
var RULE_PATH rules
in /etc/snort/snort.conf

To start the service, run snort -c /etc/snort/snort.conf or just use the
S99snort script that comes under the contrib dir in the snort source.

Don't forget to configure your rules!

Regards.