Snort mailing list archives

Re: IDS alert

From: "Michael Shirk" <shirkdog_linux () hotmail com>
Date: Mon, 10 May 2004 07:48:36 -0400

<"May 7 19:59:43  snort: [1:1010:5] WEB-IIS encoding access [Classification:
<access to a potentially vulnerable web application] [Priority: 2]: {TCP}
<63.208.194.89:80 -> xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx:2245 "

<Please let me know how should I make defense for this alert?  It comes very
<requently and with different source IP to different destination IP.

Not sure folks, this looks like return traffic from the source address. Here is some banner grabbing recon on port 80 of that source address:

Trying 63.208.194.89...
Connected to 63.208.194.89.
Escape character is '^]'.
Get /index.html http/1.1

HTTP/1.0 400 Bad Request
Server: AkamaiGHost
Date: Mon, 10 May 2004 11:46:36 GMT
Connection: close

<HTML><HEAD>
<TITLE>Bad Request</TITLE>
</HEAD><BODY>
<H1>Bad Request</H1>
Your browser sent a request that this server could not understand.<P>
</BODY>
</HTML>