Snort mailing list archives

RE: [snort-users] Bad Performance

From: "Jim Hendrick" <jrhendri () maine rr com>
Date: Wed, 12 May 2004 06:35:44 -0400

Hmmm... First let me preface by saying I have no direct PIX experience (only
design level).

Now to it. If I understand the problem, I am not surprised that performance
drops as it does. However, I think it may not be related to snortsam -
itself - but rather the fact that you are applying an increasing number of
individual rules to the edge device. It is fairly well known that neither
routers nor firewalls do well after several hundred rules are added. This
puts both a processing and memory load on them that will cause performance
to degrade (since each packet must be compared against each rule). That
said, it may be possible to throw enough money at the problem to buy a big &
fast enough box so that you will be able to live with it, but in general
there will be a limit if you continue to add rules.

What you might be able to do is to - tune - your firewall ruleset to drop
the classes of attack that are causing the majority of the "shuns" so that
snort will never see them (I assume snort is inside the firewall).

Good luck,

Jim