Snort mailing list archives

Re: How to reference a $var in pcre?

From: Matt Kettler <mkettler () evi-inc com>
Date: Wed, 12 May 2004 19:39:02 -0400

At 05:10 PM 5/12/2004, Kirk Vogelsang wrote:
I'm having a bit of trouble getting access to a variable within a pcre
statement.  For example:

var TEST1 "foo"
var TEST2 "bar"

alert UDP any any -> any 161 ( sid: 123; rev: 1; msg: "Test";
  pcre: !"/\b($TEST1|$TEST2)\b/"; classtype: test:)

I'm trying to test the communities of SNMP packets.  If they're not
what they should be (foo or bar), issue an alert.

Unfortunately, both incorrect and correct packets trigger this alert.
If I replace $TEST1 and $TEST2 with the actual variable text, it works
as expected.

How does one reference var's within a pcre statement?

Actually, your question is really "how does one reference variables from within a string expression" (pcre, content or uricontent).

As far as I know, the answer is you don't.

You could however do this:

var TEST1 "/\b(foo|bar)\b/"

alert UDP any any -> any 161 ( sid: 123; rev: 1; msg: "Test"; pcre: !$TEST1; classtype: test:)

And it should work, but once you're inside the quotes, I don't think you'll be able to access var statements.