Snort mailing list archives

Re: Snort, Swatch, and perl modules

From: Ciprian Badescu <ciprianbadescu () yahoo com>
Date: Mon, 30 Aug 2004 22:32:03 -0700 (PDT)

--- "Michael.Spotz () usdoj gov"
<Michael.Spotz () usdoj gov> wrote:

I've successfully installed and configured Snort on
a Solaris8 server.  I would like to use Swatch to
send emails.  Swatch requires four specific perl
modules.  I successfully installed the TimeDate
module.  I tried installing the Date-Calc module.
The command perl Makefile.PL worked fine.  The
command make resulted in the following messages:

mkdir blib
mkdir blib/lib
mkdir blib/lib/Date
mkdir blib/arch
mkdir blib/arch/auto
mkdir blib/arch/auto/Date
mkdir blib/arch/auto/Date/Calc
mkdir blib/lib/auto
mkdir blib/lib/auto/Date
mkdir blib/lib/auto/Date/Calc
mkdir blib/man3
cp Calc.pm blib/lib/Date/Calc.pm
/usr/bin/perl -I/usr/perl5/5.00503/sun4-solaris
-I/usr/perl5/5.00503 /usr/perl5c
cc -c   -xO3 -xdepend     -DVERSION=\"4.3\"
-DXS_VERSION=\"4.3\" -KPIC -I/usr/c
/usr/ucb/cc:  language optional software package not
installed
Hi,

a fast trick is to search in Makefile generated after
perl Makefile.PL, and to replace the switches which
are generated for Sun's C compiler with the ones for
Gnu C compiler(I suppose you are using Gnu C). It will
be the -xO3 replaced with -O, and -KIPC replaced with
-fpic.

There is another solution to notify perl that you are
using Gnu C, and to generate the correct Makefile,
could be setting CC=gcc, or setting some perl
variable, but don't remember exactly.

----
Ciprian Badescu

*** Error code 1
make: Fatal error: Command failed for target
`Calc.o'

I received similar messages when I tried installing
Time-HiRes.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Mike Spotz

today.