Snort mailing list archives

Re: How to dump a certain number of tcp packets (for TCPDUMP) when an alert is fired

From: Jason <security () brvenik com>
Date: Wed, 08 Sep 2004 15:20:29 -0400

preprocessor frag2
preprocessor stream4: disable_evasion_alerts
preprocessor stream4_reassemble
output log_tcpdump: filename alert.pcap

ruletype suspect {
  type log
  output log_tcpdump: suspicious.pcap
}

ruletype redalert
{
  type log
  output log_tcpdump: redalert.pcap
}

suspect tcp any any -> any 22 (msg:"I see port 22"; tag:session, 30, seconds; )

redalert tcp any any -> any 80 (msg:"I see port 80"; tag:session, 30, seconds; )

Loch Theary wrote:

Hi again,

Could you please publish a working snort.conf with the log_tcpdump ruletype and the corresponding suspicious rules of your
own ? because I have created a suspicious ruletype in my snort.conf and then use it in the local.rules, restart snort and it
doesn't work at all !!!!!!!

I probably missed something but I can't figure out what ! :-(

Could you help ?

Regards,
Theary