Snort mailing list archives

Re: Kernel space Snort. Proof of concept test succeeded.

From: "Alex Butcher, ISC/ISYS" <Alex.Butcher () bristol ac uk>
Date: Wed, 15 Sep 2004 09:13:32 +0100

--On 31 August 2004 18:56 +0200 Willem de Bruijn <wdebruij () dds nl> wrote:

As for filters. we've already ported Aho-Corasick and
Boyer-Moore-Horspool, a  sampler, etc.. For a conference paper we've
pitted snort with BMH in the  kernel against regular snort and found
quite considerable increases in  efficiency (some 50% less CPU
utilization with an older version of the  software, better results are
surely obtainable).

Was the user-mode Snort using Phil Wood's libpcap <http://public.lanl.gov/cpw/> or an older version without MMAP mode support?

  Willem

Best Regards,