Snort mailing list archives

Solaris 8 stealth interface receives nothing

From: twig les <twigles () yahoo com>
Date: Fri, 16 Jul 2004 10:08:04 -0700 (PDT)

Hey *, has anyone seen the following behavior?  Solaris 8 with
current patches occassionally stops listening to traffic on it's
interface without an IP address.  I know it's not snort because
I can throw up a quick tcpdump or snoop session and get 0
packets received.  I'm thinking of adding a bogus IP address to
see if this works because I found an email thread (can't find it
again...) discussing Solaris 8's habit of doing this, which is
solved by bouncing the box.

We're an ISP, bouncing boxes sucks.  Has anyone else overcome
this problem?

=====
With a few exceptions, secrecy is deeply incompatible with
democracy and with science.
     --Carl Sagan