Snort mailing list archives

Re: [Snort-sigs] http_inspect

From: Brian caswell <bmc () snort org>
Date: Fri, 30 Jul 2004 01:05:36 -0400

On Jul 29, 2004, at 3:05 PM, Esler, Joel - Contractor wrote:

detect_anomalous_servers config for http_inspect.  When I turn it on, it works, but it detects return HTTP traffic as opposed to HTTP traffic to non $HTTP_SERVERS, I am assuming that this is the probem with it right now and they are going to fix it?  Or do I have something misconfig?

The detect_anomalous_servers configuration option looks for HTTP traffic on non-HTTP ports. Basically, if someone starts running a web server on ports other than the ones you already have defined, snort will generate the alert "(http_inspect) ANOMALOUS HTTP SERVER ON UNDEFINED HTTP PORT" from this configuration.

Brian